Tech Talk

As much as I enjoy the amazing things that we can do with technology, there are times when I just wish that it would go away for a while.

My cell phone’s on the blink. A couple of weeks ago I took it in because the battery was draining much more quickly than it used to, but the guys said it passed their tests and should be okay. I didn’t believe them, but I also didn’t want to be one of those people who start yelling at everyone in the phone store because they’re dissatisfied with their service. Then last week I didn’t get any voicemail notifications, and Friday night the screen suddenly went black and the lights inside wouldn’t turn off. On a whim, everything returned to normal, but the on-off pattern continued Saturday and Sunday. When I took it to the store, they just told me that it “failed their test” and because it’s out of warranty, there’s nothing they can do. That’s very helpful. I don’t have a long list of people who call me frequently, but when the chosen few do give me a ring, I generally like to be available to them.

So now I have to decide between paying full price for a phone I don’t really or taking them up on their offer for a $75 rebate, but I’d also have to renew my contract for two more years. The store only had one that was somewhat simple, but it wasn’t that great, and it was $150. Bah. When did phones become so complicated? like I am not a fan of flip phones, I don’t want a camera or the internet or tv on my phone. I want a phone…and that’s it.

Last night I picked up a copy of MacWorld magazine at BN to try to educate myself a little on the goings-on of things. I didn’t understand half of the first article I read. (Note: if you want to make me feel really stupid, just start throwing computer-talk at me. Works every time.)

I wish I knew more about computers. Not the basic stuff, because I can get around just fine, but the fancy tech stuff that lurks just beneath the surface. I wouldn’t want to make a career out of computers, but it would be nice to be a bit more confidant in my own computer knowledge.

In high school some of my best friends were the tech ed kids—the guys who spent their spare time buiding computers and going to tech conferences (They were actually at one in downtown Oklahoma City not too far away from the federal building on the day it was bombed—I’ll never forget that.). Before we had driver’s licenses, we spent many lunch hours in the tech ed room. It just never occurred to me to try to learn anything from them.

I’m not really sure where I’m going with this…it was just on my mind this morning.

Is it ironic that I'm blogging about technology woes? You can decide for yourself.

Enjoy your Monday.

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum