Opinions Almost Always Welcome

This is the point in the month when I'm quite relieved that I didn't take on any absurd bets about finishing my 50 editing hours in 30 days. It's already Day 9, and I've only done about 5-ish hours of editing. Too bad I can't count the hours I spend daydreaming about the book...I'd have used up all my hours in a week.

Speaking of the book, I need to make some decisions about the second draft process. (You could argue that I should have made these decisions before I started, and you'd probably be right, but who wants to be conventional like that?) Since I publicized the first draft effort so very much, most people I know will start their conversations with me by asking how it's going and when they can read it. (Isn't it crazy? There are people who actually want to read stuff I've written!)

If you don't already know, I'll tell you right now that I am an approval addict. I'm pretty sure that happiness levels are directly connected to my approval collection system. Get enough approval, the happiness flows freely to both mind and body, making life seem rosy even if it isn't. But if I'm running low on approval, my happy juices just don't flow.

Don't see how that relates? Here, I'll show you:
Take one Mel, mildly content with life.
Add three conversations where people ask her about her book and tell her they can't wait to read it.
Add one email from friend praising the latest exerpt sent for comments.
Add one Jamba Juice.
Stir until ingredients are well-blended.
Refrigerate for at least two hours. Happiness will thicken as the mixture cools, and Mel will be able to write with complete confidence, or just provide pleasant company.
Served best with a side of silliness.

I know, I know. It shouldn't matter what people think, but we all know that's not true. And so, I have to decide who I'm willing to share the story with while it's still in a precarious place. I already have one totally reliable friend and opinion-giver who has proven herself to be honest, detailed, and encouraging even when I don't deserve it.

And then there's the other one.

Friend B has agreed to read the first two pages (that's all I'm willing to share right now). I freely offered, but I'm also flat out terrified that he'll think it's stupid. There's a very strong possibility that will be the case. It took months (wait, probably years) to let him read the first half of my first book, and after he did, we never talked about it. Naturally, I think the worst because of the silence. Take two, and the same fears arise. So now we ask the questions:

If B hates it, is it because he is not the target audience for this story? (Maybe.)
If B hates it, does it mean it's bad and I should trash it? (No. Wait, maybe. Wait, no. No! Right? What do you think, B?)
Have I put too much stock in what he says? (Um, probably, but I already knew that.)
Can I rely on him to be supportive even if he doesn't like it? (I always think this is a big, fat No.)

So, to share or not to share. Feel free to post your opinions, even if you don't know (or care) who I'm talking about.

Tried a new juice/smoothie place last night after church. There were coupons and pressure, so I agreed to forego my dependable Jamba Juice for something new. I've got to say that it wasn't as good. I am a Mel of second chances, so they might have another opportunity to change my mind, but I won't be giving up the Jamba any time soon.

Well, hope that wasn't too unpleasant. Thanks for reading.

Enjoy your day.

1 comments:

    On 9/6/05 21:46 Anonymous said...

    while friends a and b completely differ in style, compassion, and looks, i believe at varying levels and methods of expression, they care very much about you and your book, as it is dear to your heart, and because you know this about them, i think their advice, opinions, and reactions should sit differently with you. i believe that such a profoundly different duo of reactionists can be highly beneficial to you in your editing process, as it will prepare you for some of the extremes you will perhaps encounter as an author (and a soon to be published one at that). love you... and i hope this post has gotten a rise out of your inner editor.

     

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum