Word o' the Day

Flummox tr. v. To confuse; perplex.

Can I use it in a sentence? You betcha.

I am often flummoxed by my own behavior. I know there should be a good reason for things I do, even if that good reason is nothing more than a sunny day or an afternoon nap or Tuesdays.

I remember days spent in the swimming pool during the middle of blistering summers. I loved just floating around with my eyes closed and my arms and legs stretched out, letting the motion of the waves lead me. After a while, one of two things would happen. Either I would stop myself and see how far I'd gone, or keep floating and eventually smack my head on the concrete border. Sometimes life is like that- just floating along without paying attention to what's happening, hearing voices around you muffled under the water. And all of a sudden, smack! You've got a tennis-ball size bump on your head and you don't know how you made it to the other end of the pool.

Not to sound too cheesy, but there are times when I feel like I'm just swimming through life. I'll think back to the last few weeks and wonder what I did to get where I am. That's really vague, so let's get specific.

It's already March 2005. I can clearly remember March 2004, which doesn't seem like it's 12 months past. I can remember thinking that in a year I'd be 25, and that's a quarter of a century, and I'm not sure I've spent my time all that wisely.

Fast forward to today. In about three weeks I'll celebrate (or at least acknowledge) birthday #25, and I've got to take stock. Around November '03 I made a promise to myself to finish writing my novel by my next birthday. A year past that deadline, and I'm no closer to reaching that goal. Yeah, it's a little depressing, and I certainly want to see my name on a shiny new book jacket. Even so, there are days when I can't seem to motivate myself enough to sit down at ye olde computer and suck it up, as it were. (Even though I can sit here and spout out a few words on a blog, go figure.)

So what's the point?

I need to get motivated. If you have any brilliant motivational tools, I will probably include you in the acknowledgement page of my first novel.

I am not going to wait until 2006 to become the person I want to be. You are all witnesses.

If nothing else, you learned a new word for the day...unless you've already forgotten it, and in that case you should probably work on your memory skills.

Enjoy your day and your words.

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum