Place Your Bets

I have decided to write a novel. This is not unusual to say, since I've been working on various writing projects for the last five years or so. This is unusual because I am going to write an entire novel (50,000 words) in 30 days. That's right, April is going to be my month, baby.

You may have heard of the National Novel Writing Month (lovingly referred to as NaNoWriMo by its fans). Every November, people around the world vow to devote 30 days to hardcore writing and turn out a solid first draft. No Internal Editor, no heavy research, just writing as quickly as possible in order to hit the 50,000-word mark by the end of the month.

Yesterday I picked up the NaNoWriMo creator's book called "No Plot, No Problem!" for a little pre-writing inspiration. I didn't realize what I was getting myself into. By the time I'd read a few pages, I had decided I would follow this guy's advice and write my own 30-day masterpiece.

You may ask why I am not finishing the novel I am already working on that has about 35,000 words, and I would say that it's because that is against the rules.

And so I now ask you to pariticipate in my quest, because friend participation is an important part of the process. You are welcomed to do any of the following:
1) leave encouraging comments here on the blog or send emails that detail your complete faith in my ability to complete the task.
2) place your bet on my inability to do it and what you think I should give you if I don't come through (i.e., gooey desserts, movie tickets, housecleaning service, etc.). Most reasonable bets will be accepted. Please take my respectable income and debt repayment duties into account when choosing your terms.
3) do or say things that warrant character inspiration and possible inclusion in the story.
4) understand that I can't tell you what the book is about (sorry, it's in the rules, too.)
5) understand that I will have to be somewhat antisocial for the next 30 days and not think I'm crazy for choosing writing sessions over social activities every once in a while.

1 comments:

    On 30/3/05 14:20 Anonymous said...

    I'm betting on you, Melicious! Like I said before, if anyone can do it, it is you. Just as long as you realize, by day 31 I want to buy us both dessert and sit reading your new novel!

     

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum