The Mystery of the Missed Phone Call

I don't know about you, but my pre-teen years were full of mystery novels, particularly those featuring Nancy Drew. ND was even lucky enough to occassionally be joined by the Hardy Boys for one of her ever-thrilling mysteries. Do you remember those cookie cutter mystery titles? I don't have any of those books anymore; I'd probably be disappointed if I read them now.

Last week I had a slight mystery of my own. It's late Wednesday night, and I pick up my cell phone to set my alarm. I see that I had missed a call. But it wasn't just any call. It was a call from someone who hasn't spoken to me in three months. After three months of silence, I assumed that name would never again show up on my phone. The first reaction is to wonder what he has to say and whether it's really good or really, really bad.

The voicemail message is no help in deducing the purpose of the call. To paraphrase: "I wanted to talk to you if I could; call me back later."

I check the clock. It's 12:17 a.m., and too late to call back. The next morning I get up early to go home for Thanksgiving. I wonder if I should call while I'm on the road, but I decide against it.

Saturday evening I head back to OKC and finally get a moment to return the phone call. There is no answer. The automated voicemail lady tells me how to leave a message as if I've never done it before. I consider a few options but can't form any complete thoughts, and I hang up without saying anything. I'm a little disappointed and a little relieved that he didn't answer. What do you say to someone who hasn't talked to you in three months? I'm sure he'll be able to see his missed call. At least that should let him know that he can talk to me. There was never a time when he couldn't try.


It's Tuesday, and still nothing.

1 comments:

    You did a hang-up?! No...thats not how it's supposed to go! LOL...

    You're supposed to call, and leave a quirky, yet weird message that makes him smile and remember the good ol' days...at least thats what any self respecting Jennifer-Love-Michelle-Sarah-Felicity-looking actress would do in a movie or sitcom.

    But since life doesnt have writers, I guess we just gotta hope for the best...hopefully he does call back, and you can find out what his true intentions are...good luck.

     

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum