Christmas in November

Sorry, friends. I know my posting has been scare lately. Things are busy, but I don't think there's anything that's happened lately that is blog-worthy. My living room is full of boxes, and the bedroom is full of laundry. Such is the life of a girl in transition.

My soon-to-be roommate is closing on her house tomorrow morning, and moving in tomorrow evening (fingers crossed, people!). I know she's been waiting for this for a while, and hopefully everything will go very smoothly.

After tomorrow evening's moving party, I have to scramble over to the mall to join my fellow movie-goers at the new Harry Potter movie. We're meeting at 8:45, and the show starts at 12:01. After that, we have to turn back into responsible adults and go to work as usual. There are about 28 of us going- all college students and recent graduates. It should be fun. I need to get a camera.

I was a bit disappointed this morning when I had to succumb to the season and turn on the heat. I haven't used the heat or A/C for about a month, and I was really enjoying the lower electricity bill (it dropped by half from the previous month! that's shopping money, kids) and the opened windows. Sadly, if I hadn't bumped up the temperature from 60, I probably would have stayed wrapped in my flannel sheets and 3 quilts (also known as the happiest place on earth). But thankfully, 15 minutes was all it took to warm me up and wake me up enough to traipse down to my frigid car and into a toasty office.

Okay, for the exciting part: last night I went to Target and bought Christmasy things. It seems a little early for me, but I also really liked how little traffic there was in the holiday aisles. I considered buying a little tree, but then I decided on something more original. That is, I've never seen it done, so it's original to me. I found a Christmas wreath, bought a few ornaments, and dressed it up like a tree. Here are the advantages of said wreath-as-tree:
1. No garlands, strings of beads, or lights to manage. The wreath came lit, and as it will be hanging on the wall, I only have to decorate one side. Much easier than trying to balance your decorations around a tree.
2. The wreath necessitates an ornament standard. As soon as I decided on the wreath, I eliminated those dangerously delicate glass balls from my decor. The small area means that I can choose carefully and build up my ornament collection rather than have the daunting task of trying to fill a whole tree in one year with a bunch of cheap, tacky, or fad-ish ornaments, which seem to be the norm in the stores.
3. I can chose a different theme every year and not break the bank. Everything will be blue and silver this year, but next year may be all pink. It's fabulous!
This probably isn't as exciting for you, but Christmas is the time when my theme-decorating goes into overload. Usually I'm annoyed with stores that shove Christmas in your face as soon as Halloween is over (or sometimes even after Labor Day). Yesterday, I saw the beauty in it.

And yes, the New Orleans pics are coming. The problem is that I can't put them on the blog from my Mac, and I haven't taken the time to send them to my work. It may be a poor excuse, but it's the only one I have.

Enjoy your day!

2 comments:

    Wait...the new Harry Potter movie comes out tomorrow? Shut up...are you for reals?! Damn...I guess I better go get my tickets!

    And as for your Christmas tree-turned-wreath...sounds like a good idea, but then again, so did the show Joey. I mean, no offense or anything, but where will the gifts go?

     
    On 16/11/05 13:27 Mel said...

    Ouch! I felt a little twinge of pain at your comparison to such a sadly disappointing show. As for the presents, it was never something I worried about before. All of my Christmas celebrations take place at other family homes, so they just sat in a bag next to my luggage. Besides, my previous Christmas tree only had about an inch of clearance, so no presents ever rested under it, either.

    And yes, HP is out this week. Is that rock you've been hiding under very heavy?

     

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum