Word o' the Day

I have always been fond of words of the day. They increase your vocabulary skills in ways that nothing else can. A couple of my favorite WOTD ever are "hoosegow" and "superflous." That may sound crazy, but it probably doesn't seem too weird if you know that I also occassionally read the dictionary just for fun. And so, in honor of those enlightening but oft' neglected words, I present today's entry.

Mowability- n. the ease with which something, especially one's lawn, can be mowed

Doesn't it just roll of the tongue? Mowability. And there are so many sentences in which you can use it. Her balcony has very low mowability, although her shag carpet has high mowability. Okay, I'm probably getting carried away, so before you run to the nearest dictionary for consultation, I'll admit that it's not really a word. I read it in a memo someone sent to my office today, and I think it's a good example of the fact that anybody can add to our collective lexicon with just a little imagination or total disregard for real words.

Enjoy your day and your words.

2 comments:

    On 21/2/05 19:28 Anonymous said...

    I love words of the day! Especially yours. Anyway, one of my all-time favorite words is defenestrate. Look it up and I'm sure it will quickly be one of your favorites too. :)

     
    On 16/4/05 14:53 Anonymous said...

    A couple of my favorite WOTD ever are "hoosegow" and "superflous."

     

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum