Nano Day 1- 2692 words

It's almost midnight, so as I look out my the window of my apartment (and see a cat looking back at me!), I'll examine today's writing accomplishments.

At 9 a.m. I started writing. The sun was pouring in my open window, and the late night revelers were still quiet. I didn't mean to start so late, but it was past 3 a.m. when I finally got to sleep, so an adjustment was necessary. The novel started pretty much like I expected. Churned out about 1600-ish words in the first couple of hours, followed by several mini-sessions throughout the day. The last couple of hours has been spent helping my sister rearrange her furniture, 'cause I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

My other novel has several iTunes playlists. Each of the main characters has a personal playlist (save one) of songs that either have some connection to their part of the story or is music that they would actually listen to. These lists were honed over months after many more months of becoming acquainted with them. I've tried to replicate that for the new book, but it's impossible when I don't even know the main character well enough to know what music she'd listen to. So instead, I made a quick-n-dirty playlist of 52 songs that's been on repeat all day long. Not sure where I was going with that...I'm sure that sentence will make several appearances this month. Jane's voice is still foreign, so I guess until I grasp it I'll just have to write her words in mine.

As of now, I've got 2692 words under my belt. I could, and probably should, try to get in one more session before I call it a night. Or before all the neighbors start being noisy and I can't get to sleep.

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum